Skip Nav
Facebook Twitter Search Payments

Transition Services

Transition Services

Role of the Transition Specialist

Transition Specialists (TS) are rehabilitation Counselors, performing established functions and duties prescribed for the general DHS Division of Rehabilitation Services rehabilitation counselor. TSs serve high school students with disabilities in the Secondary Transitional Experience Program (STEP), or individual students needing services concurrent with their education or immediately upon exit from school.  The role of the STEP program is to aid high school students in their transition out of high school into competitive employment, post-secondary education, and/or adult services offered by Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS).


Specific TS Duties:

  1. Oversee the STEP program and manage the STEP caseload
  2. Quarterly contact with each student on the STEP caseload
  3. Receive all student referrals for STEP and Transition Services
  4. Assess student and open cases on behalf of DRS for those who are eligible for DRS services
  5. Attending IEP’s in order to make students aware of the services available to them
  6. Before student graduates, the case will either be put into plan status or closed to DRS. Will work with the student, teachers, parents, etc. to determine what option best fits the need of the student
  7. Assist students/families with accessing community services before/after graduation from high school. If students need DRS assistance for longer than 3-4 months after graduation, the case will be transferred to the appropriate DRS office
  8. Assist schools with work placements, accessing community resources, assessing student needs, mock interviews, resume reviews and other “as requested” services when possible.


DRS Fact  Sheet for High School Students

STEP Fact Sheet


Contact Your TS

Emily Kull, Transition Specialist

309-888-5120 ext. 1210


Ryan Deason, Transition Specialist

309-888-5120 ext. 1214                      


Marie Yoder, Transition Specialist Assistant

309-888-5120 ext. 1213