If you would like to substitute teach in ROE #17 you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL), Substitute Teacher License (SUB) or Short Term Substitute License (STS)*
- If you hold a Teaching License you DO NOT need a Substitute License.
- A Substitute License (SUB) is valid for 5 years and is renewable.
Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution
STEP 1: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois
If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on "TEACHERS". Click on Log into ELIS, then click on "Login to your ELIS account" (under Educator Access), then click on "Sign up Now" in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select "Continue".
- Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Substitute Teacher license." You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point, you should have your official sealed transcripts sent directly from your university to ROE #17 either by mail or email. They must be from an accredited university and show a bachelor's degree has been awarded. New: You can have official transcripts emailed from your university to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** A new law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017. For more information, click here.**
STEP 2: Register your Substitute Teaching License
- Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you may register your license.
- Click on Registration and follow the steps. You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
Anytime during this process, you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts.
STEP 3: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #17
Persons wishing to be considered for the position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #17. The substitute packet includes the following:
- Photocopy of your ELIS credential page showing an IL teaching license or substitute teacher license registered in DeWitt/Livingston/Logan/McLean ROE #17
- Photocopy of your bachelor’s degree transcript (if not already submitted in STEP ONE)
- Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) - signed by a physician, no more than 90 days old
- Substitute Teacher Information Form and Fingerprinting Facts Form
- $65 in cash, check, money order, or via PayPal to ROE 17 (Payment must be received before you can make an appointment to be fingerprinted)
STEP 4: Fingerprinting - this is the last step and should be completed after the steps above
- Pay for your fingerprinting prior to making your appointment. The cost is $65 and can be paid via Authorize.Net (link below), or with cash or check to ROE # 17. We do not recommend mailing cash. Note: As of 1/1/2016 ROE #17 will not accept fingerprints from other ROEs/ISCs.
- Call BUSHUE Fingerprinting at 217-342-3042 to schedule an appointment. Tell them you are getting printed for Substitute Teaching for ROE # 17.
- Verify the location of your appointment. Currently, appointments are not at ROE #17.
- This is the last step! Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received here at our office, we will mail you a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check.
BUSHUE will be at a location in Bloomington on the following dates. Please verify your appointment location.
- Thursday, 6/18
- Tuesday, 6/23
- Friday, 6/26
- Tuesday, 6/30
- Wednesday, 7/1
- Monday, 7/6
- Friday, 7/10
- Monday, 7/13
- Wednesday, 7/15
- Tuesday, 7/21
- Friday, 7/24
- Monday, 7/27
- Wednesday, 7/29
- Friday, 7/31
Click here to pay for fingerprinting online.
Fingerprinting Fee: $65 with a $2 processing fee, totaling $67
After every step is completed and we receive the results of your fingerprinting we will mail you a Substitute Authorization Letter. Once the Substitute Teacher Authorization has been mailed to you, take the authorization to each district office of the schools in which you wish to substitute. Let them copy it and you keep the original.