If you would like to substitute teach in ROE #17 you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL), Substitute Teacher License (SUB), a Paraprofessional License (with a bachelor’s degree), or a Short Term Substitute License (STS)*
- If you hold a Teaching License (PEL) you DO NOT need to apply for a Substitute Teacher License and you can skip to STEP #3. OR If you hold a Paraprofessional License and have a bachelor’s degree on file, you are qualified to be a substitute teacher and DO NOT need to apply for a Substitute License in ELIS, but you MUST complete the substitute authorization process by completing the steps below that are applicable. You can skip to STEP #3.
- A Substitute Teacher License (SUB) is valid for 5 years only and is renewable. Note: You must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:
If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log in to ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now on the left side and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
- Follow the steps and click on “Apply for a Substitute Teacher license.” You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point you should have your official sealed transcripts sent directly from your university to ROE #17 either by mail or email. They must be from an accredited university and show a Bachelor’s degree has been awarded.
New: You can have official transcripts emailed from your university to email@example.com.
STEP TWO: Register your Substitute Teaching License:
- Once your application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account you must register your license and choose ROE #17 for your region.
- Click on “Registration” under the “home” tab and follow the steps. Choose region #17. You will pay $50.00 registration fee plus a convenience fee.
Any time during this process, you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts.
STEP THREE: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #17:
Persons wishing to work as a substitute teacher in our districts must submit the following materials to ROE #17:
- Photocopy of your ELIS credential page showing an IL teaching license or substitute license registered in DeWitt/Livingston/Logan/McLean ROE 17
- Official transcript of your bachelor’s degree transcript (if not already submitted in STEP ONE)
- Statement of Good Health - signed by a physician, no more than 90 days old.
- Substitute Teacher Information Form and Fingerprinting Facts Form
- $65 – cash, check, money order, or online via Authorize.Net to ROE 17 must be received before you can make an appointment to be fingerprinted. Note: As of 1/1/21 ROE#17 will not accept fingerprints from other ROEs/ISCs. Call BUSHUE at 217-342-3042 to schedule an appointment.
After every step is completed and we receive the results of your fingerprinting we will email you an encrypted Substitute Authorization Letter and a copy of your background check results. You will need to submit a copy to each district office where you would like to substitute teach and apply directly with them.
BUSHUE will be at a location in Bloomington on the following dates. Please verify your appointment location.
- Wednesday, October 27
- Friday, October 29
- Monday, November 2
- Thursday, November 4
- Monday, November 8
- Wednesday, November 10
- Friday, November 12
- Monday, November 15
- Wednesday, November 17
- Monday, November 22
- Wednesday, November 24
- Monday, November 30
You can make your fingerprint appointment here: https://bushuebackgroundscreening.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php
Click here to pay for fingerprinting online.
Fingerprinting Fee: $65 with a $3 processing fee, totaling $68
This payment is non-refundable.