If you would like to substitute teach in ROE #17 on a short-term basis you will need a valid STS license OR be a ELS (PARA) license holder with an Associate’s degree on file.
- If you hold a Teaching License (PEL) or a ELS (PARA) license holder with an Associate’s degree you DO NOT need to apply for a Short Term SUB Teacher License and you can skip to STEP #3.
- A Short-Term Substitute Teacher License (STS) is valid for 5 years only and is not renewable. Note: You must have an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of college coursework.
- Short Term Substitute teachers cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:
If you have a valid teaching license(PEL) or a ELS(PARA) with an Associate’s degree skip ahead to STEP THREE.
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log in to ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now on the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
- Under the “Home” tab click on “Apply for Short Term Substitute Teacher license.” You will pay $25.00 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point you should have your official sealed transcripts sent directly from your university to ROE #17 either by mail or email. They must be from an accredited university. Note: You must have an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of college coursework.
New: You can have official transcripts emailed from your university to firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP TWO: Register your STS Substitute Teaching License:
- Once your application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS account you must register your license and choose ROE #17.
- Click on Registration under the home tab and follow the steps. You will not pay fee to register this license but this step is still required.
Any time during this process, you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts.
STEP THREE: How to obtain an STS Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #17:
Persons wishing to work as an STS substitute in our districts should submit the following materials to ROE #17:
- Photocopy of your ELIS credential page showing an IL teaching license or STS substitute license registered in DeWitt/Livingston/Logan/McLean ROE 17
- Official transcript showing at least 60 hours of college credit (if not already submitted in STEP ONE)
- Statement of Good Health- signed by a physician, no more than 90 days old.
- Substitute Teacher Information Form and Fingerprinting Facts Form
- $65 – cash, check, money order or online via Authorize.net to ROE # 17 must be received before you can make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
- Has completed a training program that meets the requirements of 105 ILCS 5/10-20.67, Short-Term Substitute Teaching License Training by ROE #17.
After every step is completed and we receive the results of your fingerprinting we will email you an encrypted Short-Term Substitute Authorization Letter and a copy of your background check results. You will need to submit a copy to each district office where you would like to substitute teach and apply directly with them.
BUSHUE will be at a location in Bloomington on the following dates. Please verify your appointment location.
- Wednesday, October 27
- Friday, October 29
- Monday, November 2
- Thursday, November 4
- Monday, November 8
- Wednesday, November 10
- Friday, November 12
- Monday, November 15
- Wednesday, November 17
- Monday, November 22
- Wednesday, November 24
- Monday, November 30
You can make your fingerprint appointment here: https://bushuebackgroundscreening.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php
Click here to pay for fingerprinting online.
Fingerprinting Fee: $65 with a $3 processing fee, totaling $68
This payment is non-refundable.
Notes about the STS License:
- Effective 7/1/2018: A Short-Term Substitute License (STS) may be obtained by individuals with an associate's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of college coursework.
- STS is valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, PreK- 12.
- STS licenses are valid until June 30, 2023 and may not be renewed.
- STS holders cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
- STS holders must complete a training program provided by the school board or ROE # 17 - visit our Professional Development page for upcoming STS training.
- STS license holders will apply for an STS in ELIS (instead of a SUB) and follow all other requirements for SUBS below.
- STS license holders can serve as Paraprofessionals.
- A new law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017. For more information, click here.**