Short Term Substitute (STS) - NEW!
- Effective 7/1/2018: A Short-Term Substitute License (STS) may be obtained by individuals with an associate's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of college coursework.
- STS is valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, PreK- 12.
- STS licenses are valid until June 30, 2023 and may not be renewed.
- STS holders cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
- STS holders must complete a training program provided by the school board or ROE # 17 - visit our Professional Development page for upcoming STS training.
- STS license holders will apply for an STS in ELIS (instead of a SUB) and follow all other requirements for SUBS below.
Short-Term Substitutes still need to complete the full substitute authorization process -