An advocate for education by providing positive leadership, coordinating and delivering state and local services, and disseminating information for educators, school districts, and the community.

Licensure Home > Licensure > Substitute Teaching

Substitute Teaching

As of January 1, 2016, ROE 17 will not accept fingerprints from other ROEs/ISCs. Thank you for your cooperation.

Substitute Teaching

If you would like to substitute teach in ROE #17 you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL) or a Substitute Teacher License (SUB). 

  • If you hold a Teaching License you DO NOT need a Substitute License. 
  • A Substitute License is valid for 5 years and is renewable. Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution.

STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:

If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.

  1. Log on to and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log in to ELIS , then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
  2. Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Substitute Teacher license.” You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
  3. At this point you should send your official sealed copies of transcripts to ROE #17.  They must be from an accredited university and show a bachelor’s degree has been awarded.

STEP TWO: Register your Substitute Teaching License:

  1. Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you may register your license. 
  2. Click on Registration and follow the steps. You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
    Anytime during this process you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts. 

STEP THREE: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #17:

Persons wishing to be considered for the position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #17. The substitute packet includes the following: 

  • Photocopy of your ELIS credential page showing an IL teaching license or substitute teacher license registered in DeWitt/Livingston/Logan/McLean ROE #17
  • Photocopy of your bachelor’s degree transcript (if not already submitted in STEP ONE)
  • Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) - signed by physician, no more than 90 days old
  • Substitute Teacher Information Form and Fingerprinting Facts Form
  • $60 in cash, check, money order, or via PayPal to ROE 17 (Payment must be received before you can make an appointment to be fingerprinted)

 CLICK HERE to print the substitute packet needed to complete the authorization process.


  1.  Pay for your fingerprinting prior to making your appointment.  The cost is $60 and can be paid via PayPal (link below), or with cash or check to ROE # 17.  We do not recommend mailing cash.
  2. Call BUSHUE Fingerprinting at 217-342-3042 to schedule a time and date that works for you. Tell them you are getting printed for Substitute Teaching for ROE # 17.
  3. Verify the location of your appointment.  Currently appointments are not at ROE # 17.
  4. This is the last step! Once you have your completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received here at our office, we will mail you a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check.

BUSHUE will be at a location in Bloomington on the following dates:

Thursday, December 28
Tuesday, January 2
Friday, January 5
Monday, January 8
Wednesday, January 10
Friday, January 12
Monday, January 15
Wednesday, January 17 **
Thursday, January 18 **
Friday, January 19 **
Monday, January 22
Thursday, January 25 **
Friday, January 26 ** 
Monday, January 29 ** 
** Dates marked with ** take place at the ISU Bone Student Center on a walk-in basis **


                   Please verify the location of your appointment.                

CLICK HERE to pay for your fingerprinting with PayPal

After every step is completed and we receive the results of your fingerprinting we will mail you a Substitute Authorization Letter. Once the Substitute Teacher Authorization has been mailed to you, take the authorization to each district office of the schools in which you wish to substitute. Let them copy it and keep the original. 


ROE # 17 Privacy Policy: All inquiries regarding licenses must be made by the license holder, we are unable to share information with other parties.  Thank you.